Among ourselves, we passionately discuss the inane errors that regularly find their way into print. We enthusiastically debate whether media consumers are oblivious, complacent, or just too lazy to demand accuracy. We “tweet” one another links to glaring grammar gaffes, upload to “flickr” photos of misspelled billboard messages, and post to “facebook” examples of problematic punctuation. We are alternately amused and dismayed by the rampant incompetence of advertising agencies, communications directors, and reputable publishers. We have plenty to say!

This weblog will collect and critique public language blunders, so grab your virtual red pen and join the conversation:

15 January 2011

Slow Children Crossing

My daughter's childhood friend Sarah May Silva recently posted an amusing facebook status message that soared over the heads of most of her readers: Is it "A woman without her man is nothing" or "A woman: without her, man is nothing"? I gave her an lol, but the rest of her commenters went off on feminist rants. Are Sarah and Alanis Morissette the only members of their generation who "get" irony, or did schools stop teaching punctuation in the '80s? I fear both to be true, but this blog isn't about the demise of subtle humor, so let's ponder commas--missing, misplaced, and superfluous.

Before teaching their punctuation unit, I always ask my developmental English students, "How many of you learned in elementary school to put a comma in your sentence wherever you would pause while speaking the same words?" They ALL did, and that's the only "rule" most of them EVER learned! So those who speak like every conversation is a filibuster use no commas, while those who hem and haw sprinkle them like pepper over their compositions. But in series? After introductory phrases? Around asides or appositives? Before coordinating conjunctions in compound sentences? After dependent clauses? With nonrestrictive clauses? Most would be more successful defusing a bomb or clearing a minefield blindfolded!

Teaching grown-ups to use punctuation correctly is challenging for instructors and frustrating for their adult students, who must first "unlearn" decades of bad habits. If I had a million dollars, I'd send all current fourth graders the kids' version of Eats, Shoots & Leaves (right) and all their parents--and teachers--the original book (scrollbar below). What would you do?

4 comments:

  1. Sarah Silva15 January, 2011

    Ah! My daughter, a first grader, recently learned the "commas are placed to cue you to pause when speaking rule" - unfortunately. As a result, she makes a siren sound whenever I blow through a sentence without pausing at each and every comma. I joked about it with her teacher who gave me a funny look and said, "Obviously you realize why we have to teach kids to do that." Um, nope.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have an "idiot neighbor" who's kids can do no wrong, not to mention the fact they ARE old enough to look for cars (although they don't). She placed THREE "Slow Children at Play" signs IN THE STREET. After our initial anger now we laugh and say, "Yes, they are"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops, I think I used the wrong who's !! (Who's the idiot now?!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Personally, I didn't care much for "Eats, Shoots and Leaves," but I love Strunk and White's "The Elements of Style" for adult learners. As a wise mentor once told a bunch of young Navy journalists, keep a copy in the loo and read a bit every time you visit to keep your skills sharp. Good advice for everyone!

    ReplyDelete