Among ourselves, we passionately discuss the inane errors that regularly find their way into print. We enthusiastically debate whether media consumers are oblivious, complacent, or just too lazy to demand accuracy. We “tweet” one another links to glaring grammar gaffes, upload to “flickr” photos of misspelled billboard messages, and post to “facebook” examples of problematic punctuation. We are alternately amused and dismayed by the rampant incompetence of advertising agencies, communications directors, and reputable publishers. We have plenty to say!

This weblog will collect and critique public language blunders, so grab your virtual red pen and join the conversation:

12 January 2011

"I will never need spelling because I'm going into the family construction business"

  In the very next block I saw an AXEL FOR SALE $40 sign.
Every community college English instructor has heard the same complaint from future mechanics, future nurses, and even future criminals: "I'm never going to use this stuff. Why do I have to take composition? It's a waste of my time and money." Sigh. I show the future mechanics incoherent work orders and ask how many comebacks they think the designated technician will have to absorb while guessing what needs to be repaired. I show the future nurses incoherent patient charts and ask how confident they think a caretaker will be administering the medication and/or treatment seemingly indicated. I even show the budding felons incoherent jail requisition forms and ask how soon they think the petitioning inmate will get his phone call or postage stamp. What would you tell them?

6 comments:

  1. A-freakin'-men. I think spelling and grammar are even more important now that society has backed away from voice-based communication. If you don't want to your tweets, status updates, text messages, etc., to be misunderstood, proper spelling and punctuation are essential.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just read an introduction in my online course that said he was a "signal father". Hmmmmm. Makes me wonder what kind of singles he was sending.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And then there are the people who think spell-checkers are the be-all and end-all of copy editing.

    News flash, people: Spell-checkers only know if you SPELLED words correctly, and sometimes they don't even know that much. But they certainly don't know if you used the correct words in the first place.

    Don't even get me started on the so-called "grammar checkers." Might as well ask your dog to proof your work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This reminds me of the moment in one of my classes that a smiling student said that she would never need to learn good grammar and mechanics. I asked her what career she was going into, and she replied: "I'm going to be a hooker." Without missing a beat, another student said: "Without good communication skills, you'll always be just another $20 hooker."

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is precisely why I do a spelling quiz (VERY quickly) in every class I teach.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Future criminals? What are the core classes for THAT major? (besides Law and Auto Sales, of course...)

    ReplyDelete