Among ourselves, we passionately discuss the inane errors that regularly find their way into print. We enthusiastically debate whether media consumers are oblivious, complacent, or just too lazy to demand accuracy. We “tweet” one another links to glaring grammar gaffes, upload to “flickr” photos of misspelled billboard messages, and post to “facebook” examples of problematic punctuation. We are alternately amused and dismayed by the rampant incompetence of advertising agencies, communications directors, and reputable publishers. We have plenty to say!

This weblog will collect and critique public language blunders, so grab your virtual red pen and join the conversation:

05 February 2011

It's not news unless it's "about" the reporter


Didn't the word "report" once imply a detached account? I think the trend toward news narcissism began with national/world weather stories featuring cold, wet or windblown media personalities rather than actual residents dealing with disasters. I'm still boycotting WANE more than five years after seeing reporter Terra Brantley pose, Captain Morgan style, on the ruins of some poor family's home during Hurricane Katrina. (Her insensitivity aside, I was appalled that any local news agency exported useless media teams to a community in such dire need of food, water, transportation and shelter for its residents.) I'm even more disgusted by "stories" about media personalities trying to do real work. I don't want to see a GMA anchor in the back seat of an F-16; I want to know about the pilot, his training, his mission, his family. I don't want to see Today Show hosts "become Internet sensations" by mashing OK Go! or imitating YouTube dances (and I wish someone would explain to their producers that "going viral" can't be orchestrated). Last night, I wanted to know what was happening to Egyptians in Cairo, and the News Sentinel wanted to tell me about a former employee who got punched in the face in Tahrir Square. So I turned on the television, where Indiana's News Center was presenting the first of a two-part story on anchor Melissa Long's karate hobby. Thank God for Twitter and Facebook news feeds!

4 comments:

  1. I agree whole-heartedly. A recent post by another friend on Facebook said something to the effect of "Jim Cantore's in Chicago -- that means [Chicagoans] are screwed!"
    Apparently, it's Cantore's reputation of being too stupid to come in out of the rain for years that indicates how big a storm is coming ... nothing at all to do with the actual weather.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get annoyed with tv shows saying we are going to tell you "everything" you need to know about..... and then spend 60 seconds tops on the topic. Not one of my questions ever gets answered.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It does amaze me how these 'reporters'get a folowing, or is it because there is a monoply on the 'free' broadcasting airwaves- who knows.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just once I would like to hear real news when I tune into a world wide news broadcast. I don't care about the Kardashians, the engaged royalty, or drunk actors who smash their cars or ditch themdown the ravine. I want to know why it is necessary to send U.S. troops into another internal conflict in a country whose citizens despise us. I want to know how we rae doing at feeding the children in our own country, and caring for our elderly. I want to know what is being done to clean up our cities and make them safe for commerce and families. I want to know why our National Guard soldiers are serving overseas when our own national needs are not being met.

    ReplyDelete